The Maltese archipelago is located right in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea, stretching to an area which is not greater than 316 square kilometers. The size of the Maltese islands are definitely not a reflection of the great historical and cultural treasures the country prides itself on.
In 2020, Malta officially passed the Granting of Citizenship for Exceptional Services Regulation which provides the legal framework for citizenship by naturalisation in accordance with Article 10(9) of the Maltese Citizenship Act.
To qualify for citizenship, the main applicant must meet all of the following investment requirements:
- Make a non-refundable investment of €600,000 when the application is submitted after 36 months of residency. An expedited option is available which allows the investor to apply for citizenship after 12 months with an investment of €750,000. Each dependent requires an additional investment of €50,000.
- The acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of €700,000 to be held for at least 5 years; or lease a residential immovable property in Malta for a period of 5 years, at an annual rent of at least €16,000.
- A donation to a registered philanthropic, cultural, sport, scientific, animal welfare or artistic NGO at a minimum of €10,000.
- Once these requirements are met, the investor may submit their application for citizenship. If approved, the applicant will receive a Letter of Approval in Principle. The investor is then required to complete the process and take the Oath of Allegiance within 6 months from the date of approval.
BENEFITS OF MALTA CITIZENSHIP
- Right to live, work and study in Malta.
- Visa-free travel to 186 countries and territories.
- Malta has highly developed industry, tourism and financial sectors, and is well linked with Europe and the world. It enjoys a strategic geographical position, and one of the strongest growth economies in the EU.
- Malta has a very favourable tax structure. Tax is due only on income and capital gains arising in Malta. Malta has no inheritance tax, estate duty, net worth taxes, or municipal taxes.*
- Residence cards issued within 3 weeks of residence application with visa-free Schengen mobility for 18 months.
- Citizenship issued to the investor, their spouse and dependent children aged 28 and under and dependent parents or grandparents over the age 55
- No language, interview, education or management requirements
- Malta allows dual citizenship.
- Citizenship is valid for life and may be passed on to future generations by descent.
VISA-FREE TRAVEL TO 186 COUNTRIES AND TERRITORIES
Visa requirements for Maltese citizens
Freedom of movement
Visa not required / eTA / eVisitor
Visa on arrival
Visa available both on arrival or online
Visa required prior to arrival
|LOCATION:||Southern Europe, Mediterranean Sea|
|LANGUAGE:||Maltese (official): 90.1%;|
English (official): 6%,
|GOVERNMENT TYPE:||Parliamentary Republic|
|GDP (PER CAPITA):||$35,900 USD|
Speak with one of our citizenship and residency advisors today to find out how a second passport or residency can enhance your life.